Youth can play vital roles in creating positive social change in their communities.
Since 2003, VISIONS has been cultivating the voices and leadership potential of young people through its Youth Empowerment Workshops and The Legacy Project.
Youth who have been through VISIONS training say we helped them:
- Increase their empathy and ability to be an ally to those who are different from them.
- Learn leadership skills and develop self-confidence through practice.
- Increase their problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Examine their internalized biases, assumptions and beliefs.
- Develop the language and ability to analyze and discuss difficult issues around social justice without shaming and blaming themselves or others.
SOERNY CRUZ, Legacy Project Participant discusses the impact of VISIONS on her life.
“I overcame an ingrained cultural fear of those who weren’t of my race, which manifested itself as an urge to overcompensate by being extremely polite and reserved.”
“I now truly believe I have the power to change whatever I set my energy into. I am a strong Haitian woman with great capabilities.”
“Thinking of myself as a leader is different and challenging—because for a long time I have seen myself as someone who should just blend in, not stand out.”